Common seals on Scottish shores ©
What is EDMED?
EDMED is a comprehensive reference to the marine datasets and collections held within European research laboratories. It provides marine scientists, engineers and policy makers with a simple mechanism for data discovery.
Its origins date back to 1991 and it has undergone various revisions under the SEA-SEARCH and SeaDataNet initiatives. It has established itself as a European standard for indexing and searching datasets relating to the marine environment.
It covers a wide range of disciplines, for example
- marine meteorology and atmospheric chemistry
- physical, chemical and biological oceanography
- human impact on the environment
- fisheries and aquaculture
- coastal and estuarine studies
- marine geology and geophysics
- digital databases or files
- analogue records — paper charts, hard-copy tabulations
- photographs and videos
- geological samples
- biological specimens